Jan 29, 2012

Review: Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

By: Andrea


Genre: Young Adult/ Fantasy

Book summary from Goodreads:
For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel. For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.
My review:


I bought this book in December because of all the hype around it. I'd heard that it was amazing, and because lately I've been having a paranormal/fantasy/YA addiction, I picked it up and started reading.

It took me two days to finish it, and... I'm very, very disappointed. While reading it, it was so dull and boring that I looked up reviews on Goodreads and Amazon and started reading not a lot of people liked it. I can't disagree with them.

First of all, I finished this book. I gave it a try because I hoped it would get better  if I kept reading it. It didn't. The book reminded me of Twilight so much, it was excruciating (Nora Grey, simple girl, straight A's, Biology class, ends up sitting next to dark, mysterious guy). To me, what I read was:

  1. Creepy guy from Biology!
  2. Wait, he's hot and I like him!
  3. I think he'll kill me!
  4. Wait, it's not him who wants to kill me!
  5. He pisses me off!
  6. I love him!
  7. He loves me!
  8. He's an Angel!
  9. He saved me!
  10. THE END.... wait, what?
First question: Is Patch supposed to be attractive to me? I seriously felt like I never got to see him as he really was, and I couldn't trust Nora's feeling.. she was a weird main character.

Two: how stupid can Nora be? She got on my nerves! And her best friend, too! 

Fitzpatrick wrote a book that made absolutely no sense to me. Where were everybody's parents? Why can a girl who's attacked spend like a day at the hospital, then go out and go to a bar? Excuse me? Also, are Nora and Patch supposed to love each other? To me, they only want to take each other's clothes off. 

I'm glad I bought the first book only instead of buying the sequels, too. This was very disappointing and a complete waste of my time. I don't hate it', don't get me wrong. Fans of Twilight would probably like it. It's just that I read so many good, fast-paced books lately, that I expected this one to be close to them, just as the hype around it suggested. Unfortunately, it wasn't, and I will not be picking up the sequel. I know this review might sound cruel, but I'm sort of pissed off it wasn't what I expected. But it's not a HORRIBLE book, a lot of people like it. I'm just not one of those people.

Here's the trailer:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total site visits