Sep 5, 2012

Review: Obsidian, by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Obsidian
by 
Series: Lux #1
Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 
If I don't kill him first, that is
Source: Amazon Kindle
didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it (my current rating) really liked it (my current rating)
   

THERE ARE NO WORDS TO EXPRESS HOW MUCH I LOVED THIS BOOK.
One of the most amazing books I've ever read! Can you just... Oh, my gosh! Like I said: NO. WORDS.

I'm just fan-girling over here, I'm sorry. On to the review:

Interesting plot: 2/2
I've read several Sci-Fi, Paranormal and Fantasy books, but never had I read such a book about ALIENS (I'm not spoiling anything, look at the summary above). I have to admit I was sort of hesitant towards this book because of the alien theme, which I admit I was not a fan of. But JLA created a beautiful species that just outshone everything else I've ever read when it comes to creatures. It's not creepy or scary at all, but quite beautiful. The plot is amazing, and there's always something happening. This book was not slow at all, because even the small details and events had me dying to keep reading.

Characters: 2/2
Can I just remind myself of how awesome and amazing Katy is? First of all, she's a BOOK BLOGGER. She even does Waiting on Wednesdays and In My Mailbox! And she's such a strong character and doesn't take s*** from anybody, which is something I liked about her. She wasn't the typical "oh-my-god-save-me" type of lead character.
Then there's Daimon, one of the sexiest, funniest, to-die for character I've read (also, a bit jerk-ish). I had a love/hate relationship with him. At some points I could not stand his attitude and was glad Katy put him in place, but he was so... AWESOME beneath all that all the time, that I just couldn't hate him. He just irritated me, and then I just wanted to kiss him, *hehe*
And the sexual tension between both characters was just unreal... Just had you gripping the book with everything happening between them.

Pace: 2/2
Like I mentioned earlier, there was always something happening. The whole Alien thing just came on amazingly and with ease, and although some scenes weren't as action-packed as others, they still had some small things happening that J.L. Armentrout knew how to engage readers in these.

Writing style: 2/2
JLA has a particularly developed writing style that I've heard so much about... and she didn't disappoint. She has a really interestin writing style that really keeps you hooked to the book, and does not dwell too much on small details, so you're never bored with this book. Before I read Obsidian, I had been reading books slowly (1 book per week), and finished this one in 2 days because her writing is something you can't put down.

Recommend it? 2/2
DEFINITELY YES.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total site visits