Jun 23, 2012

Review: A Game of Thrones, by George R. R. Martin

Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom's protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens. Here an enigmatic band of warriors bear swords of no human metal; a tribe of fierce wildlings carry men off into madness; a cruel young dragon prince barters his sister to win back his throne; and a determined woman undertakes the most treacherous of journeys. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.
Review:


I've never been a big fan of adult fantasy. I'd heard a Game of Thrones was very similar, or in the same genre as The Lord of The Rings, and I found these books tedious to read. Interesting, but long and slow (Before I get any hate mail, I'm planning on giving them a second chance soon). So, you get my idea, of how I felt about this book before. I'd heard GREAT things about the TV series, but I didn't want to watch it before reading the book (so you know, I was already thinking about reading it).


Anyway, long story short, two of my friends read it and RAVED about it. Once I had the book in my hands, I was excited to start it at once!


The story hooked me in the first 50 pages. SO GOOD! I already had favorite characters and was eager to meet the rest of them (by the way, I really can't remember every name in the book! There are way too many!). The book continued almost flawlessly and every character kept growing in me, and I loved each and every one of them.


I have to say, my excitement decreased as I kept reading, but because it has been very busy weeks, it took me more than two weeks to finish... and I hated that. Either way, a solid 5-stars and I'm excited to read the next book next month!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total site visits