May 14, 2012

Review: City of Lost Souls, by Cassandra Clare

City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)

City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5)



Genre: YA, Fantasy/Paranormal

Source: Purchased on Kindle

Summary: The demon Lilith has been destroyed and Jace has been freed from her captivity. But when the Shadowhunters arrive to rescue him, they find only blood and broken glass. Not only is the boy Clary loves missing–but so is the boy she hates, Sebastian, the son of her father Valentine: a son determined to succeed where their father failed, and bring the Shadowhunters to their knees.No magic the Clave can summon can locate either boy, but Jace cannot stay away—not from Clary. When they meet again Clary discovers the horror Lilith’s dying magic has wrought—Jace is no longer the boy she loved. He and Sebastian are now bound to each other, and Jace has become what he most feared: a true servant of Valentine’s evil. The Clave is determined to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. Will the Shadowhunters hesitate to kill one of their own?Only a small band of Clary and Jace’s friends and family believe that Jace can still be saved — and that the fate of the Shadowhunters’ future may hinge on that salvation. They must defy the Clave and strike out on their own. Alec, Magnus, Simon and Isabelle must work together to save Jace: bargaining with the sinister Faerie Queen, contemplating deals with demons, and turning at last to the Iron Sisters, the reclusive and merciless weapons makers for the Shadowhunters, who tell them that no weapon on this earth can sever the bond between Sebastian and Jace. Their only chance of cutting Jace free is to challenge Heaven and Hell — a risk that could claim any, or all, of their lives.

And they must do it without Clary. For Clary has gone into the heart of darkness, to play a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing the game is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she even still trust him? Or is he truly lost? What price is too high to pay, even for love?

Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.



Rating: ★★★★★


I've been waiting for this book for a long, long time, and I was glad it was such a long book since I didn't want it to finish.

Cassandra Clare once again tore my heart into a million pieces and left me inside a whirpool of emotions... I think this GIF accurately describes me when I finished the book:




How am I supposed to wait a year for Heavenly Fire to come out? It's too much! EDIT: I just found out it's actually TWO YEARS! Oh, my goodness I can't wait this long!


The story was completely amazing. It continued perfectly from where it had left off, and though I didn't imagine things would happen the way they did, I'm glad with how it turned out. I'll be honest, Clary was getting on my nerves at times, but after I was done, I understood what she was going through and why she took those decisions.


Now, Sebastian is a character I didn't want to talk about mainly because I was embarassed. I think we all know that feeling where you sort of adore a character, and no matter what he or she has done you want to believe in them and their goodness, but then you realize you were a fool the whole time? I know, it seems silly, but that's how I felt about Sebastian. Cassandra Clare wrote a character that was charming, attractive, and whose dialogues always seemed genuine and caring. I specifically loved this about the book, because once again Cassandra Clare showed the amazing talent she possesses by writing a character we all hated in a way in which he could be loved again, and well.. she succeeded.


The book is intense on so many levels, because readers familiar to Clare's writing know that many things are happening at once, and from different perspectives. So, I was emotional towards one character, but then I had to change my emotion and feel something else for another one, so it's a book that you really can't put down 'cause nothing ever stops happening. One thing I liked about this book, that I had not enjoyed from other Mortal Instruments books were the cliffhangers. I disliked those so much from previous books, because they cut the story off at its peak. Cassandra Clare chose her cliffhangers carefully, this time, I think, because they were perfectly arranged to leave someone in suspense, yet don't cut off the story halfway.


Overall, it was a wonderful book that left me hungry for more, and waiting two years for Heavenly Fire will definitely be terrible. I don't know how I will be able to wait patiently.




 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total site visits