Feb 5, 2012

Review: Looking for Alaska, by John Green

by: Andrea
 
Summary from Goodreads:
Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words and tired of his safe life at home. He leaves for boarding school to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps." Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps. 
Looking for Alaska brilliantly chronicles the indelible impact one life can have on another. A stunning debut, it marks John Green's arrival as an important new voice in contemporary fiction.
So this was the first book I read by John Green, apart from his story in the Christmas book with Maureen Johnson and all those I read a while ago. I'd heard so much about this book that when I found it on sale at Barnes & Noble it was the first I chose.
I absolutely loved it. It made me cry, for one, which if you have read my previous reviews, hadn't happened before. Ever. What surprised me was that it made my cry in the middle of the book! Pudge is a ver unique character that I fell in love with, and he was easy to relate to. It seemed like whatever he felt I felt. It was inspiring, and it made you think about life, seriously. Like with his teacher, the assignments he gives, them, it's like he's giving them to you, too.
It was relatable because John Green didn't write about usual, cliché teenagers. He gave them the mature personality, that at the same time is new to many things (smoking, sex, etc.) so Pudge matured and learned everything he had to learn while we did, too. 
Honestly, I loved Alaska. She seemed as someone who I'd like to talk to for hours. 
I recommend this book a lot, mainly because you don't expect anything that happens to the characters. I need to read the rest of John Green's books and I will do that soon.
And remember, to keep looking for the Great Perhaps! :')

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total site visits