Feb 19, 2012

Review: The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green

By: Andrea

★★★
Goodreads summary:
Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 
Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 
Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind

Ok, so to start of I'm going to admit it once and for all... I CRIED. All through the last, let's say 20% of the book or so (I read it on my Kindle). It was incredibly sad, and I've read "cancer books" and like Hazel say in the book, "they suck". This is not the typical cancer book, I can assure you. Nothing that you expect to happen does, and in the end you're left with a typhoon of emotions travelling through you.

I found this novel extremely realistic, at how things happen in life that you can't change or stop. When the book ended, I didn't even notice it had ended... I wish there was more. I wanted their love to have more time to develop, just more time to live for both of them...What I think is the point of it all is that there's always time for love. No matter how long you have, what Hazel and Augustus shared was unique an true love... even if it didn't last as long as they wished.

I loved that John wrote the book from a 16-year-old girl's perspective... outstandingly well-written. The obsessing over a book in the story (Hazel and Gus's to An Imperial Affliction) made me relate to them so much, and I loved how the end of the book had a lot to do with AIA. I wanted to email John Green and ask what happened to Hazel, etc., just like Hazel wanted to email Peter Van Houten. And yet, at the same time, I thought I wouldn't have wanted the book to end any other way.

It was amazing how much Hazel and Gus's situations in life was much more different to mine, and yet I related to them in ways I never had to any other characters... It felt like their feelings were completely normal to me, like a true teenager being described in a few hundred pages. It was one of those books that I want basically everyone to read. I read Looking for Alaska a few weeks ago, and I told a few people about it. However, The Fault in Our Stars is a book I want EVERY SINGLE PERSON to read. I've been telling everyone I know– non-stop– to read it, as soon as possible.

Overall, it's a great book and older kids, teens and adults will devour this book. You can't ignore this book.

Buy it now:


Trailer:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total site visits